Bed adhesives?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    fred_dot_u
    Participant

I’ve searched the forum and found no reference to the use of adhesive material on the print bed. My previous printers each used some form of glue, but each had cold beds. My calibration sequence went well without adhesives, as did a couple of prints. I experienced a bit of warp with PLA on the heated bed, but it was trivial and the rest of the print came out good.

A recent, quite small print immediately detached, so I added a raft. It held for about 5 mm of layers at which point, unattended, I enjoyed my first rat’s nest ever. A rather high quality rat’s nest, as would be expected from this amazing printer.

Should I be using glue stick, hair spray, blue tape, kapton tape, or what? Same question applies to printing with ABS, which I’ve not yet attempted.

thanks
    fred

roger uceda

Hi Fred,
    We like to use 3DLac spray for PLA and Dimafix for ABS. It is very important to calibrate the machine perfectly. Have a look at this video:

Anyway, if you are not using spray, you can print perfecty with 65º in the heatbed.
    Roger

roger uceda

Hi Fred,
    We like to use 3DLac spray for PLA and Dimafix for ABS. It is very important to calibrate the machine perfectly. Have a look at this video:

Anyway, if you are not using spray, you can print at 65º in the heatbed.
    Roger

fred_dot_u
    Participant

I can see that a small aspect of the calibration I am performing may be incorrect. Even though I had watched this specific video (and all the others), I did not make proper note of the “pushed” paper being buckled and may have the extruder distance set a bit too high. I plan to update the firmware to the recent version and perform the calibration again.
    I’ve noticed that my bed temperature is displaying 64 degrees. I’ll add a couple to see how well that works.
    I’m unable to locate a US resource for the spray you suggest. Is there an equivalent in the form of a domestic product you would suggest?
    Thank you for your advice.

tropicdome
    Participant

I have the same problem, especially with PLA. Even during calibration, it is almost impossible to get PLA to stick to the glass plate. I have tried with the supplied 3DLAC and just a clean bed.
    How do you propose to clean the glass plate and how much 3DLAC should you apply when printing with PLA?

roger uceda

Hi!
    You can buy 3DLAC here in Canada:
    http://revolution3dprinters.com/shop-product-materials-3dlac
    On the other hand, I print PLA without LAC at 65-70ºC

Eric Pallarés

Hi all!
    It’s recommended to vaporize 3DLac from about 20cm during approximately 1 second.
    However, it’s important to do it outside the printer. If not, some lacquer may deposites at the linear guides and bars, which may cause a malfunction in a long term.
    Keep in mind it’s not necessary to apply 3DLac (or any other product) before any print; every 4-5 prints should be enough. Finally, remember to clean the glass periodically (once a month), just with warm water and soap.

tropicdome
    Participant

Good to know about the cleaning method and how often to use 3DLAC.
    I seem to get a very good result at the moment with the green PLA that came with the printer.
    However, the black PLA that came with the printer simple won’t attach to the plate and it won’t fuse/melt properly together in the layers, I get strings. Could the supplied black PLA be of bad quality?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.