Issue Calibrating

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    jamesballa
    Participant

hey guys, new to all of this so please excuse me if I don’t get the lingo quite right. don’t have a clue what has happened. Hoping someone has encountered this.

I was having problems with the Sigma not printing the first few layers at the back & warping in one corner so I recalibrated last night and everything was working very well. Warping had gone and was printing all over the plate.

Went to do a print tonight, and the nozzle was obviously too close to the glass I could see it making a line in the gluestick glue on the plate. Stopped the print and went to re-calibrate again didn’t think nothing of it.

When the printer goes through the initial working out where the glass is the left extruder comes out no problems and checks the corners, then when it comes to move out the right extruder it appears to go right, gets stuck on the metal frame obviously as it can’t go through the frame and the glass continues to move up as the micro switch is not in position to trigger it off to go back down.

I did try updating the firmware hoping it would reset everything but problem is still there.

Video can be seen here:

Help !

Phill
    Participant

Ouch!
    As an attempt at a quick solution i would do the following:
    1) Download Pronterface http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun
    2) Connect to the printer through pronterface
    3) Run the command M502 (Reset current settings to defaults, as set in Configurations.h)
    4) Run M500 (Save settings to EEPROM)
    5) Turn the printer off and back on (just incase)
    That will reset to factory defaults.
    Let us know how it goes.

Phill
    Participant

I’ve watched your video again and it might be something blocking the micro switch? Once it hits the micro switch it should stop moving.

jamesballa
    Participant

Hey Phil,
    I can try to reset to factory settings but that is why i flashed and upgraded it in an attempt to do that.
    And yes, the bar with both extruders on it is coming so far foward, the right extruder is getting caught on the metal frame and it can’t obviously get through the metal and the switch isn’t being pressed.

jamesballa
    Participant

Here check this out, above view of the extruders you can see it’s come so far forward the bottom of it is getting caught on the angled metal frame work.

Phill
    Participant

Hey,
    Upgrading or reinstalling the firmware won’t set it back to default. The default settings are contained in the firmware but won’t be used because other settings are stored on the eeprom. If you use the method I gave above it will overwrite the current settings with the firmwares default settings so you will end up with the correct x,y and z numbers. I’m not 100% sure it will solve this issue as I’m pretty new to 3D printing myself but it’s worth a try. You could also put in a support ticket if you can’t get it fixed. If you do end up putting in a ticket let us know the outcome and how it was fixed πŸ™‚

jamesballa
    Participant

Hey mate, I put a support ticket in last night but I will give that a try this evening when I get home from work. Absolutely spewing as we would say in Australia, had it printing perfectly with the new calibration the night before.

jamesballa
    Participant

Didn’t work πŸ™ Not having any luck on this one. Does it make me a girl if I cry ? lol my poor sigma.

Phill
    Participant

You can cry if you like!
    No reply to the support ticket yet? Maybe ping them again.

jamesballa
    Participant

No supports sent me 4 or 5 responses…… I’m not sure anyone knows what is going on.
    Here it is
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not my sigma!!!!!!!!
    :~o(
    Any other ideas ? I reckon it’s something thats loose. It’s literally 1/2 a cm it needs to not go forward or the extruders need to hang back in and problem solved.

jamesballa
    Participant

One more view if anyone is confused about whats going on. hard to see in the other photos.

Phill
    Participant

I’m really not sure on this πŸ™
    If you run a print does it print ok?

jamesballa
    Participant

no I calibrated the night before this all happened, printed perfectly. Then tried to print the following day. It was too close to the glass and nothing came out. Tried to recalibrate then and that’s when the issues started and couldn’t get it to recalibrate.
    I doubt it would print since i did that reset before.
    Starting to get a little worried now. πŸ™

Phill
    Participant

What happens if you click the home buttons in pronterface?

jamesballa
    Participant

Sorry for the late response. No luck so far, just replaced drive card and still not going. Might need to go back I think πŸ™

jamesballa
    Participant

and after all of that it would appear it was the mainboard. It looked like the extruder was trying to go right but it was actually just vibrating.
    Had some issues calibrating after the mainboard replacement but got there in the end.
    What a headache given my lack of experience on this but I now know the machine inside out, one thing I will say between Jamie & 3D Printer gear and David & BCN3D support they put up with a lot of emails and frustration from me. 10 points to support!!!!
    Thanks for the suggestions Phill.

Phill
    Participant

Awesome! Now get printing πŸ™‚

Abdul
    Participant

Hello guys,
    I am facing the same exact issue in my sigma printer as yours jamesballa!
    Can you help me out? How did you fix this issue, I am getting frustrated of trying to fix it!
    Also my printer is not printing the lines required for calibration on the y axis, its stuck only printing test lines along the X axis, See the image below to know what i mean!
    Looking forward for your support & help, Thanks A lot !

jamesballa
    Participant

Hey mate, I can’t really clearly see what is going on. Can you get a photo / video.
    What happened here in the end we replaced the mainboard. I was fairly new to the sigma at this stage so I was a bit of noob. However after replacing the mainboard I managed to fix it, then the same issue happened again. I resat all of the ribbon cables into the mainboard, and this fixed the issue for the 2nd time. So although we replaced the mainboard I have my suspicions it was just a connection issue.
    Hope this helps, flick an email back with a vid and I might be able to help a bit more.

Abdul
    Participant

The heads are bumping with each other and the printer is not moving in the y direction!
    here you can see my problem :

jamesballa
    Participant

Hey mate, there is a micro switch on the bottom of both heads / extruders. It looks like thats not clicking so it keeps going up.
    What I would do is run the bed calibration, then the extruder which comes out, manually press the microswitch. See if it works then. That will rule out if its the microswitch or not.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.