Simplify 3D, tips and tricks

Tagged: , ,

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Wim.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    zorgonaute84
    Participant

Hello,

I proposed to create this topic to share tips and tricks with Simplify3D. Simplify3D is very much powerfull and customisable than Cura, but it could be more tricky to setting up.

I created some profiles dedicated to print with single extrudeur (Left or Right tool), Dual Color printing, Printing with PVA support, and Printing with PolySupport. But I don’t find any option to upload them here… I’ll try to find a solution to share them to you.

First, who use S3D instead of Cura ? What’s your opinion on it, and could you share somes pictures of your best complicated parts printed with your Sigma with the help of S3D.

maik
    Participant

Hi this is Maik. I´d like to try S3D instead of Cure (mainly for using the right extruder) 🙂
    If you can send me the profiles (maik at fablabdd.de). I´ll put them into my (or our FabLabs Webspace) and publish the Links here.
    Maik

Marc
    Keymaster

Hi Maik and Zorgonaute,
    Check out our new post in our blog about BCN3D and Simplify 3D: http://www.bcn3d.com/bcn3d-technologies-becomes-simplify3d-official-reseller/

Wim
    Participant

Okay, here some findings comparing Cura with Simplify3D.
    I had severe problems printing models that looked perfect on Cura to look fine on Simplify3D (S3D) from now on.
    First print I did failed completely (Premium PLA Jet Black).
    At first I thought my nozzle was clogged, because I noticed when trying to purge it a very fine string came out.
    So I tried to remove the filament and this was apparantly not possible. (It wouldn’t retract, even when I pulled pretty hard on the spools end while the feeder was retracting.
    So then I thought my filament was stuck in the extruder itself (darn !).
    So I removed the bowden tube on the side of the extruder, only to see the filament was completely loose (like it should be).
    I then tried to remove the filament again (software) with the bowden still loose … No movement at all…
    So then I tried to remove the bowden at the side of the feeder… man this was tough but I succeeded at last.
    The bowden came of the filament broken just under it… The filament was completely stuck in the bowden.
    I had to get some serious pliers to be able to remove it but luckily I succeeded (or I could look for a new bowden).
    THE FILAMENT WAS COMPLETELY GRINDED EVERY 5 CENTIMETER … no wonder it got stuck.
    So then I started looking what happened …
    S3D seems to like retracting so much they better had called it Retracting3D 🙂
    Here’s what I did to solve this mess :
    HARDWARE :
    – Using an allen key I loosened the screw on the feeder responsible for gripping the filament 1/4th of a turn, because I already suspected before my left feeder gripped the filament too firmly.
    I had so far no problem in doing so, but beware if you do so and suddenly the extrusion gets uneven or the filament stops feeding, this could mean the filament is slipping… in that case fasten it again.
    (Less pressure on the filament = less grinding)
    SOFTWARE :
    – EXTRUDER tab : I changed the speed for retracting from 2400 mm/min (40mm/sec) to 1500 mm/min (25m/sec) and diminished the retraction from 4mm to 3.5mm. Less speed = less grinding
    – ADVANCED tab : I checked [Minimum travel for retraction : 3mm] … this will get rid of a bunch of needless retractions, as in 3mm travel practically no ooze will be produced. Less retractions = less grinding
    (I tried a smaller travel distance of 1.5mm but had to remove my bowden again… grrr)
    Doing so I got rid of this problem (hopefully for good) if you should still have grinding problems you can still check :
    – Only retract when crossing open spaces… This will get rid of almost all retractions, but could leave some small traveling traces on the surfaces due to oozing (this is why I didn’t do this)
    Now I have one more issue : When printing a flat surface, S3D seems to make spaces between the infill lines, no matter what I tried.
    I already got some improvement by changing the Extrusion width manually to 0.4 mm (same as nozzle size), but still have those narrow spaces in between.
    Maybe extruding some more (increasing the Extrusion multiplier) might help, but I had no luck so far.
    In case someone from BCN3D read this :
    Is there any possibility to determine the settings Cura makes when making the top/bottom/100% infill surfaces ?
    They looked much better and smoother than anything I could reproduce so far.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.